The Church of the Holy Transfiguration of the Lord
The Church of the Holy Transfiguration of the Lord in the centre of Sokobanja was built in 1892, in the Serbian-Byzantine style. It was built by Italian masters, according to the plan of the architect Svetozar Ivackovic. The initiator of the works and a great patron was the Metropolitan of Serbia Mihailo, who was born in Sokobanja.
Besides the church, the bishop also built the elementary school in 1894 and founded the first ecological society in 1895 under the name ‘The Society for the Improvement and Decoration of Sokobanja and its surroundings’.
Other cultural and historical monuments in Sokobanja